Thursday, January 19, 2017

Cactus Pincushion

Happy Thursday everyone!

It's almost the weekend! Today's craft is a super easy and fun craft that you can use right after you're done making it! I love succulents, and would love to fill my entire house with them. I think this felt cactus pin cushion fits right in with the faux succulents I picked up from the flower department at Ben Franklin's. There are very few materials needed for this craft!

I used a piece of green felt, white embroidery floss, a 2 inch terra cotta pot, polyfil, and some pushpins!
The next step is cutting out your shapes for your cactus. I made a shape similar to a football, but thinner. My template is 2 inches wide and 5 inches long. If you follow this pattern, you'll want to trace this four times onto the felt. 
Cut those out and you can begin stitching. I used a basic blanket stitch with my white embroidery floss. Be sure to not sew all the way around when putting the first two together. Every time you stitch to the end of your shape, you'll be adding a new piece and continue your stitch over to the next two that are being sewn together. Stuff your polyfil in before you stitch it closed!

Once your cactus is stuffed and sewn closed, you're ready to stuff it down into your pot. If you would like, you can add a few drops of hot glue or super glue around the edge of the inside of the pot to keep hold of your project a little better. 



Add your pins and enjoy your adorable and very useful new pincushion! You can change up this look by changing the colors of the felt, the floss, and the pins.  I had fun making this quick little project, and I hope you guys do too!

Megan @ Mapunapuna

No comments:

Post a Comment