Monday, February 11, 2013

Make Your Own Mercury Glass

If you're like me and looking for a romantic, shabby chic feel for your decor, you need to know how to make your own mercury glass! You can find really nice mercury glass pieces in a store but they're going to cost a lot. Thank goodness I found a helpful site on Pinterest that had a great tutorial on how to make your own mercury glass look. I had to try it out myself, and now I'm passing my version on to you.

First, get your supplies together. You need some glass pieces like the ones in the picture below, a spray bottle, white vinegar, water, and Krylon Looking Glass Mirror-Like Paint. The Looking Glass paint is a spray paint, so don't forget to do this project in a well ventilated area.

  

Next, fill your spray bottle half way with vinegar and the rest with water. Lightly spritz your glass pieces until they have little beads of water on them.

Then, before the water dries, very lightly spray the Looking Glass spray paint onto the glass. Make sure that the nozzle is at least 6 inches away from what you're spraying, otherwise the paint will run because it's very watery. Gently dab your glass with some paper towel or kleenex (preferably something without much lint) to take off some of the paint. You can repeat the last couple of steps a few times for a more mercury glass like effect, but I only spritzed and sprayed twice in all.


Here's how my mercury glass looks. Aren't they beautiful? I have to admit though, after my paint and my water/vinegar mixture dried completely, I went back over all of the glasses with another super light (I held the nozzle about a foot away from the glass pieces) coat of paint because I wanted just a little more shine. All in all I made 8 small glass pieces and I don't think I went through half of my spray paint.

These three pieces are going into a vintage birdcage in our store so you can always drop in to see them. I hope you enjoyed the post, have fun with your mercury glass making!

Puna @ Enchanted Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment