Monday, March 25, 2013

Never Forget the Finger Lei

My blog today is brought to you on behalf of that almost forgotten lei making technique, the finger crochet. Our finger lei don't want to be forgotten, they want me to remind you that they're not just for grade school graduations (although they are great for those too) but they can be classy and beautiful lei. We submit two examples as proof of their fantastic-ness.

This first exhibit I'd like to call the Fizzy Grape Soda or the Iced Orchid lei. I haven't quite decided on the name yet. This lei is made using a 3/8" purple satin and silver edged organza ribbon along with a 3/16" white double-faced satin picot ribbon. It gave me some warm fizzy feelings just making it.


This second exhibit is the Castle High School version the previous lei. I think I'll call it Fizzy Knights. I made this lei using a 3/8" wine satin-edged organza ribbon and a 1/8" white and gold satin ribbon. One of the best things about this lei is that it only took about 30 minutes for me to make from start to finish. Pretty uplifting huh?

I have to admit, I was also taking finger lei for granted until this weekend when I was asked to take part in the Market City store's "Let Celebrate" party. Thanks to Katie, Holly, Matz, and the whole Market City crew, I was reminded how much fun finger lei making can be. So it's because of  them and all those people who stopped by to have some fun with me that these wonderful lei will not be forgotten.

What do you think my first lei should be named, Fizzy Grape Soda, or Iced Orchid? Give me your take.

Puna @ Enchanted Lake

P.S. We blogged another fast lei making idea earlier today. Scroll down to see it.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! I made then 10+ years ago with yarn for my son's pre-school graduation. it is so much prettier with the ribbon. Do you know where I can find the directions? It has been so long that i don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much L! I'm so very happy that you like my lei. I do, in fact, know where you can find instructions. Our Ben Franklin stores just happen to sell a lei book that has the skinny on this lei in it, although they use rattail instead of ribbons. The book is entitled "Handcrafted Lei & Flowers, Volume XI" and you can find the instructions on page 10. We'd love to be able to show you how to make it too, if you can make it in to our store. Thanks again for reading.

      Delete
  2. Hello Im from Carson CA. I never made this and this is my first time seeing it...it is very beautiful. My son is graduating this year from High School and I would love to make this...tired of the reagular ribbon lei....do you have a video to show ho to make it or the book is the only way for us that cannot make to your store....Thank you

    ReplyDelete