Friday, June 24, 2011

Tech Thursday - Freezer Paper revisited

The other month, we had Brandon from our Enchanted Lake BFC on the show explaining how to do freezer paper stencilling. For those of you who missed it, that's today's Technique!

 First you need to find a design, I decided to just draw mine. You can use coloring books or even your Cricut or eclips machine!

Next you need the Freezer paper. Place a sheet of freezer paper over your design, shiny side down and trace.

Think about what part of the designs you want painted, this will help you decide where you need to cut out.

You need to cut where you want paint to go.Cut your traced design out, a swivel craft knife blase is great for doing this.

I always turn it over to the other side to make sure the edges are nice and clean, no little paper "hang nails"

I needed to also cut out the eyes, nose and mouth to keep those areas unpainted.

Place the cut-out freezer paper on your shirt and place the smaller pieces back onto the face.

Iron the freezer paper to the shirt. Make sure all the cut edges are sticking to the shirt.

Place a plastic coverd cardboard inside before painting to protect the other side of the t-shirt.

You can use regular acrylic paint mixed with textile medium to paint on your shirt. This gives you a whole array of colors to work with. I decided to try out the new So Soft fabric paints, perfect for this type of project.


I just used a foam brush to paint the large areas in. Along the edges, my paint strokes go from the edge inwards, so that I don't push up the edges and get paint under the design.

Let dry. Then, carefully lift off the freezer paper, revealing your painted design.

I removed the eyes, nose and mouth pieces so that I could paint these areas in with the black paint.

For this I used a liner brush and what I call my bottle cap painting, meaning iIjust use paint from the bottle cap.Lastly, I wrote in my words using the liner brush again.

I made this shirt for Saturday's Crafting Carnival at the Mapunapuna Ben Franklin Crafts. Please join us for a fun day of crafting and prize give aways from 10am to 3 pm. See you there!

Thanks for stopping by today and hope to see you this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment