Friday, October 21, 2011

GETTING READY FOR HALLOWEEN!

Aloha Crafters,

October 15, Market City Ben Franklin Crafts hosted a face painting session from 11am-1pm. It was a lot of fun. I didn't know much about the face and body paint that we carried so this face painting session was both fun but also informational. The paint can be watered down to make it easier for detailed work. After working with the paint I found that unlike water color or oil paints for canvas, this face and body paint when mixed does not make that vibrant of colors. I thought I could mix blue with yellow to get a real vibrant green because the blue and yellow were vibrant. However, I ended up with a muddy green. So I suggest if possible to chose a color that has already been mixed. Also, I found that using the synthetic hair brushes such as nylon or taklon worked better for smooth lines than the natural camel hair brushes. The camel hair brushes were softer but the hairs would come out into the paint because the paint is really sticky.

Here are a few pictures from our recent Face Painting Event:


Another question that comes up a lot at our store is "what glue is best for skin?" this question always scares me because although the glues we carry are non toxic I don't think they were meant to glue on rhinestones or worn for an extended amount of time. For one thing, they are not really flexible and the skin moves when the body moves. My suggestion is to use a removable eyelash glue. It is meant to be worn on one of the most sensitive areas of the body, the eyelid. It dries clear and is flexible.

The next scariest question is "where is your glitter?" I respond with " what kind of glitter do you want and what is your project?" At this time of the year people are working on costumes for Halloween, and they want the glitter to wear on their bodies. I think "BLING" is good and if glitter is necessary than go for it just try to avoid the face as much as possible. Don't put loose glitter in your hair because it will fall into your eyes. Glitter is tiny pieces of glass or metal that can damage the eyes. So, if your face needs glitter secure it well with a gel and use as little as possible or glitter yourself from nose down and avoid hair and above eyes altogether.

Market City Shopping Center will host face painting this Saturday October 22nd. Ben Franklin Market City will host a free face painting session again on October 29th from 11am-1pm. Please come and join me on the 29th for more help on make-up or face paints!

No comments:

Post a Comment