Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Beader is Branching Out!


So I'm the beader in the group and my mentality is like the dragons that are in the fairy tale books, you know...the ones that love to hoard all the pretty shiny things. That's how I feel when I see all the cute things in the make-a-memory department, I'll pick up stuff to add to my "collection" thinking that one day I will put it to use. Well since I often make beaded items as gifts, I've started putting my collection of papers and punches to use (finally) to make packaging for them. Here's what I do for woven dimensional charms.

It's fun to use different punches and embellishments that tie in with the design of the charm or occasion. For this one I used the Martha Stewart punches for the picket fence and the cherry blossoms and EK Success punches for the vines and the scallop lace.



I took paper and cut it wide enough to center the charm but long enough to be able to score and fold over about 1/3 of it to create a small flap that will rest above the charm. The flap is wide enough to write or stamp a sentiment or you can just decorate it like I did here. Under the flap I punch a small hole that will allow me to string through the cell phone strap and then.....



secure it on the back. I punched a circle then scored and folded it in half and used double stick tape to keep the end of the strap in place. After everything is decorated and set, I usually place it into a clear cellophane Heiko package just to keep it protected.

I hope this inspires more beaders to branch out into some of the paper arts, it's a great way to showcase your bead work and to make gifts a little extra special.

See ya at the store!

Lynn @ Mapunapuna BFC

No comments:

Post a Comment