Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hunger Games Pendant



Here's the first of our Hunger Games inspired jewelry demos that we are doing for April at our Mapunapuna bead shop.  This post won't have any spoilers since the inspiration was taken from the book cover. 
From the Vintaj Natural Brass Collection that we carry, I used the 40mm bamboo bezel, the diving sparrow, and nail head rivets.  From the Tim Holtz idea-ology line that we carry, I took one of the game spinners that looks like an arrow. 

First I cleaned off the bezel with some rubbing alcohol because I plan to use 5 minute 2 part epoxy to glue on the sparrow and I wanted to make sure that the surface was free of any residue from the hand embellishing done at the Vintaj company.  I also used the Vintaj metal reliefing block to bring out highlights on the bamboo and the sparrow. 

After determining the placement of my findings, I made a hole in the bezel with a hole punch and then used a rivet to attach the arrow.  If you haven't tried using the rivets yet, they are pretty easy.  After threading the findings you need to trim down the rivet with flush cutters until you have about 1/16" of the rivet protruding from the back.  Using the round end of a ball pein hammer, tap the rivet and it will start to mushroom out a bit.  Then tap it with the flat end of the hammer until it's flattened. 

Next I used the 2 part epoxy and glued on the sparrow.  I love 2 part epoxy because it's strong, fast in that the project can be handled after 5 minutes but not so fast in that it allows me to have a few minutes to adjust positioning if needed.

That's pretty much it!  I'll be doing this demo on Sunday April 1 and  again on the 8th between 2 and 3 PM at our Mapunapuna Bead Shop so come by if you want to check it out!

I'll be back on Thursday to post another Hunger Games inspired piece, it might have some spoilers but I'll give you warning on what portion to skip so don't worry!

See ya later!

Lynn H. @ Mapunapuna  Bead Shop


1 comment: