Happy Tuesday! Obon season is still in full swing in Maui County (and throughout the state of Hawai'i) and I had a blast again this past weekend! While at Obon you notice lots of things: delicious food, beautiful uchiwa fans, gorgeous yukata, and also lovely kanzashi! Or in english, hair ornaments- usually floral, in the case of Obon. So I figured I'd share how to make some really simple ones that I use myself! These are very quick and easy to make, so let's get started!
- Silk/Fake Flowers (your choice! Get a good variety!)
- Felt *OPTIONAL*
- Rhinestones/Pearls/Pearl Sprays/Bells *OPTIONAL*
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
- Let's start with your fake flowers! Our stores have a wonderful variety- I pick colorful ones, and I prefer to buy bushes since you get lots of flowers and leaves. Trim the flowers and leaves that you'd like first, and make sure you clip the stems as close to the base of your flower as you can- it will be much easier to glue down!
- Now take your barrette- open it up and remove the center piece and set it aside- this will make working with it easier.
- Next, take your leaves (or cut out pieces of felt) and glue them down to your barrette. glue the bottom piece first, face-up, then glue the top leaf to the top of the metal piece, adding glue to the parts of the bottom leaf that overlap the top leaf, making sure you completely cover the metal piece. You can now put the metal piece you removed last step back into the barrette. :)
- Going back to the flowers, glue down any calyxes that fall off and for security, I will usually fill the small hole at the bottom with hot glue!
- Next, glue down your flower to your leaf base, it does not matter where- place it wherever you'd like. and you may add extra glue to the calyx or petals that tough the leaf to secure it down further. Keep adding flowers until you are satisfied, but watch out! These can get really big, really fast!
- As a last hurrah, I decided to add some rhinestones to this particular piece to mimic dewdrops! it also gives a little bit of sparkly flair!
- Using the same techniques, I created two more pieces- notice how the flowers can contrast or be completely different in terms of sizes! I made these to match some of the yukata I own, and you can do the same! Have fun with these and feel free to be creative and embellish with beads, bells, pearls, ribbon- whatever you'd like! Enjoy, and happy crafting! :)
Kahului Ben Franklin Crafts