Monday, July 9, 2012

Duct Tape Bow


This past Saturday, I had the opportunity to take part in some special Hello Kitty Make N' Takes that were taking place at all of our stores all over the island. We did some really, really cute projects, but the one thing that really made an impression on me (along with, I think, a lot of the participants) were the duct tape bows. Now, if you've ever read my posts on our blog, you know that I've been a little duct tape obsessed lately, but I can't help myself, it's just so much fun to work with. Anyway, for today's blog, I decided to revamp the Hello Kitty duct tape bow using some of our other duct tapes. (To tell you the truth, the Hello Kitty Bow project was just so popular, we sold out of all the Hello Kitty duct tape and I didn't have anything left for the blog today.)


This duct tape bow is so super simple that I'm sure you're going to want to make a bunch, just like me. To start with, you need some scissors, about 30 inches of duct tape, and something to put your bow on, like a barrette or a bobby-pin. Cut an 18 inch piece of duct tape and fold it over on itself, sticky side in, leaving a small amount (a 1/4 inch to 1/2 an inch) of sticky tape on one side. This is just so that both sides of your tape have a color or pattern to them instead of being sticky. Your tape should look like the picture above.



Next, you need to take the small sticky end and tape it to the folded end of the tape to make a circle, like a bracelet. Scrunch the center of the circle to make a bow. Now, cut another piece of tape to about 12 inches and then cut that 12 inches lengthwise to about a third of the width of the tape. You're going to use this small strip to wrap around the center of the bow to keep it in shape. You can also add in the barrette or bobby pin now by taping it in with the tape.




And that's all there is to it. Here's a look at my finished bow in cheetah and turquoise. There's something about the shininess of the duct tape that really draws my eye. I hope you like it just as much as I do. If you have any questions about the project, we supply a free project sheet in our stores. Also, if you want, you can always come and visit us and ask me about it. I promise, it's too much fun to make for me to turn it down.

Puna @ Enchanted Lake

P.S. There's a cute project on COC today in the earlier blog post. If you like owls, you don't want to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment