Thursday, March 10, 2016

Royal Tray in Purple and Glitter


Hey, Everyone! 
 
Today’s project was inspired by three things; LBell’s glittery layered resin key chains, crowns and my obsession with trays. My home is filled with trays that I rotate in and out depending on what I’m working on. It’s a great way to stay organized and keep the mess to a dull roar! I have trays for current projects, trays for snacking, tray for  makeup…but I digress. 

I had come across these gorgeous vintage black and white crown images just two days before I had the opportunity to sit down for one of LBell’s make and take workshops. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with them though until that moment. I grabbed one of our unfinished trays and got to work!

The finished product incorporates a couple of different mediums. My first step was to paint the whole thing with Americana in Lavender Fields. While that was drying, I used a technique called ‘selective embossing’ to add color and dimension to the crown prints, the two small images and the quote, then glued them down with mod podge. I placed my feather where I was going to want it, then arranged self adhesive rhinestones in a couple of colors around all of it. With all of my big decor placed, I was ready to pour my first layer of resin. I used our envirotex resin and poured a thin layer, making sure to smooth and remove any bubbles. 

While the resin was still tacky, I added various glitter to highlight the color variation, incorporating silver, gold, purple and blue. Another layer of resin and glitter to give it the layered effect, and a final layer of resin to seal everything in finished off the main portion of the tray. 
All that was left was to add some interest to the outside. I used Americana’s Yellow Gold, mod podge and glitter to make it as pretty as the rest of the tray, touched up the handle cut outs with the lavender paint and sealed it with Triple Thick Gloss Glaze. 

I jumped in to this project full speed ahead and had so much fun coming up with different things to add in. I’m so pleased with how it turned out. It’s really a multimedia piece of functional art! It was so much fun in fact that I’m thinking I’ll offer a workshop for anyone who would like to make their own custom tray, so keep an eye on our craft calendar! 


Speaking of classes, I just have to go a little off topic and mention an Easter special class that we have coming up. The talented Eileen Tokita is going to be teaching students how to cut and decorate a real duck egg to make an easter keepsake panorama with an adorable bunny on Saturday, the 19th at 1:00 pm. Did I mention that her $35 fee covers all of the supplies? Decadence without the price tag, anyone? To sign up drop in and let the cashier know you’re interested.

- Chelsea @ Mapunapuna

No comments:

Post a Comment