Thursday, March 17, 2016

St. Patrick's Coloring Book Box

Happy St. Patrick's day, Crafters!

In the spirit of the holiday, I have a very celtic-flavor project for you. With St. Patrick's day fast approaching and our first Adult Coloring Techniques class around the corner here at Mapunapuna, I was super excited to see these Celtic Spirit coloring books come in. I snapped one up as soon as they hit the shelf and thanked my lucky stars -- and the leprechauns -- for giving me the excuse to color my little heart out. I immediately fell in love with this Wind Rose image and decided to start there.

The best part about coloring something like this is that you can use just about any tool you like. In this case, I used Prismacolor colored pencils as my primary and accented it with everything from Zig brush-tip markers and Montana paint pens to sparkly Gelly Roll pens.
Once I had finished coloring, all I could think was how pretty it would be if I turned it in to a little treasure chest. I took up my trusty Exacto knife and cut all of the little bits of white out of the center of the image and around the edges.

It just so happens we carry a glass-topped box that is the perfect size to display this gorgeous knot. A bit of Uber Matte spray paint, some distressing with a stamp pad and I had a finished box! All that was left was to sandwich my picture between the glass that came with the box and a piece of acrylic and as easily as that I've created a custom piece of functional art from a coloring book page!

Interested in learning tips and tricks for creating your own beautiful pieces of art? Join us for our coloring technique workshops, held twice monthly. Just let your cashier know at the checkout that you'd like to sign up for the workshop the next time you pop in!


-Chelsea @Mapunapuna

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a creative project! Everyone is wondering what to do with the finished colored pages. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynn! I'm glad you found it inspiring. :D It seems like everyone has this dilemma, so I was super excited to share a fun and unique use for that gorgeous artwork!

      Delete